It’s the obligatory Thanksgiving Day post. Mine is composed of the few things I’m not only thankful for but happy about.Â This is big; I find happiness elusive.
I’m happy and thankful that …
1. My back feels 200 times better than it did this time last year. I spent last Thanksgiving trying to contort myself into comfortable sitting positions, not knowing that sitting comfortably was impossible then and would be impossible for the next several weeks because of a slipped disc and a pinched nerve. Standing and lying down were my only relief, and it’s really awkward to stand at Thanksgiving dinner when you’re not cooking. I didn’t try lying down and eating, but I don’t think that would’ve worked either. This year a seat cushion should be enough.
2. My maternal grandmother will spend Thanksgiving out of the nursing home and with the family.
3. I will get to spend some time this week doing the only two housewifey things I actually enjoy: cooking and baking. I have ingredients for sweet and spicy kale salad, spiced sweet potatoes and spinach; apple, onion and goat cheese tarts; quinoa and black bean burgers; homemade chicken noodle soup with whole wheat noodles, vegetarian lasagna (with whole wheat noodles my mom and I went on separate wild goose chases to find); pumpkin spice oatmeal and pumpkin spice muffins with orange ginger cream cheese frosting.
4. I found the blog Divas Can Cook.
5. On the Divas Can Cook blog, I found a recipe for vegan southern collard greens.