Iâ€™ve made a commitment to #BlogLikeCrazy this month, an action I believe is necessary but also for real for real cray-cray, because there are so many valid reasons not to and so many obstacles standing in the way.
But doing it anyway has me thinking, what other crazy things should I maybe think about doing anyway, despite logic and mountain-high hurdles? I came up with 7:
1. Move to a new city.
- Logic and/or obstacle: Job, family and community ties are here, moving is hella expensive and the cost of living anywhere else I would want to live is well beyond what I could reasonably earn with my bachelorâ€™s degree.
- Why do it anyway: Wanderlust. Iâ€™m single and have no children and therefore have no one elseâ€™s life or welfare tied to my decisions or whims, and I donâ€™t think Iâ€™m living in the place where I want to settle.
2. Quit my job and become a full-time student.
- Logic and/or obstacle: I still owe money to Sallie Mae for that undergraduate loan, and as a university employee, three credit hours costs me $99 instead of about $1800.
- Why do it anyway: As a university employee and a slow reader, I can take only one class at a time without killing myself. I could get a masterâ€™s degree much faster if I went to school full time.
3. Just get the MFA already.
- Logic and/or obstacle: That pesky tuition again. Mine may be free, but my university doesnâ€™t offer an MFA in creative writing. So thereâ€™s also quitting my job and probably moving and those related hurdles. Oh, and the fear Iâ€™ll end up hundreds of thousands of dollars in debt and still not have a job in my field or a higher income.
- Why do it anyway: Itâ€™s what I want.
4. Find a new church home.
- Logic and/or obstacle: Laziness. Really nothing deeper than that.
- Why do it anyway: If the familiar doesnâ€™t leave you spiritually fulfilled, you should go where you can grow. Itâ€™s common sense.
5. Put 50% of my paycheck into savings.
- Logic and/or obstacle: Sallie Mae. I hate that woman. Also, blogging like crazy requires coffee and a hiatus from cooking.
- Why do it anyway: I could save enough to do 1-3.
6. Say something like, â€œHey, youâ€™ve made eye contact with me repeatedly. Do you want to maybe say hello or ask for my number or get coffee?â€ to every man who makes eye contact with me repeatedly.
- Logic and/or obstacle: Shyness. Not my style. Also, every man? Really?
- Why do it anyway: Iâ€™m writing this on a Friday night at 10:00 pm in a coffee shop. Iâ€™m sitting next to a college-age kid studying what appears to be organic chemistry, and six people with gray and white hair are at a table a few feet away.
7. Take all the logistics skills I use in event planning, get some additional training and go make some real money in a manufacturing job.
- Logic and/or obstacle: Please.
- Why do it anyway: Did I mention the money?
Okay, your turn. What would you do if it werenâ€™t crazy?